08 May 2020
On 31 March 2020, the Hungarian Government issued a decree that overrode certain provisions of the Hungarian Code of Criminal Procedure with a view to state of danger declared by the Government due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Further amendments followed on 8 May after the adoption of another government decree.
The main changes to the Hungarian criminal procedure introduced due to COVID-19 concern the following areas, among others:
– presence at procedural acts,
– summons, access to case files,
– the public nature of trials,
– the possibility to issue penal orders,
– suspension of procedures and extending procedural deadlines,
– the composition of courts.
For a detailed presentation of the changes, see the following information note prepared by the Hungarian Helsinki Committee: